This is the second dress that I can cross off my list! I bought this cute fabric thinking I would make a dress with it, and I knew that I wanted a flare to the skirt in 50s style. But I had no pattern so I couldn't do this until I had figured out my sloper. With that done, this dress only took a few hours (including drafting a cap sleeve).
All in all it came out pretty well, and I learnt a bit about construction order. Like, there is a order to construction. Haha, no it really wasn't that bad, I just wanted to have the whole bodice fully lined without having to do any hand sewing. I couldn't figure out a way of doing that myself, so I cobbled together a technique from a few tutorials I found online. Needless to say, that didn't work out too well and I still have one final awkward seam to finish on the inside.
This dress also has a large heart cutout on the back. In hindsight it would have been so much smarter to have finished sewing the dress completely and then to cut a hole in the back. But, as I wanted it fully lined with no hand sewing I thought that cutting a heart from the lining before construction would be clever because I could then just sew it up all in one go. Of course it didn't all go according to plan. For some reason unknown to me, the bodice lining was too short on one corner along the waistline, which threw some of the sewing off slightly at the zip. How annoying!! I'm pretty sure I can still work with the heart cutout, it might just be pulled slightly down at one side. Oops! But my hair has grown pretty long, so maybe I can get away with it :)